Nixie’s Top 5 Linux Games of 2013
Not Long ago i got asked about the Ubuntu installer for Windows not showing
up in 13.04 and it has not come back for 13.10 here is the news on that
Recent bug reports suggest that the Ubuntu installer for Windows, Wubi, is
not currently in very good shape for a release:
13.04 installer doesn’t create user account
Wubi fails to detect 12.04.2 and 13.04 AMD64 ISO
Combined with the fact that Wubi has not been updated to work with Windows 8
(bug #1125604), and the focus on mobile client over desktop, the Foundations
team does not expect Wubi to be in a releasable state for 13.04.
I am therefore proposing to drop Wubi from the 13.04 release, starting
immediately with the upcoming Beta. This will save our testers from
spending their time testing an image that will not have developers working
on fixing the bugs they find, and spares our users from using an image for
13.04 that is not up to Ubuntu’s standards of quality.
If someone is interested in taking over the maintenance of Wubi so that it
can be released with 13.04 (or if not with 13.04, then with a future
release), I would encourage them to start by looking at the abovementioned
bugs and preparing patches, then talking to the release team.
Cinnamon Desktop 2.0 has been announced. It will be featured in Linux Mint 16 “Petra” planned for the end of November and will then be backported to LMDE and Linux Mint 13 LTS.
What’s New in Cinnamon 2.0:
Cinnamon features a lot of bug fixes but also brand new features and many improvements:
- Windows can now be tiled to corners and resized:
- tiled windows no longer need to occupy half of the screen, they do so by default when tiled but you can now resize them.
- in addition to the Left, Right, Top and Bottom edge of the screen, you can now also tile into the 4 corners of the screen.
- when you drag a window near a tiling zone Cinnamon shows that zone to you. This is called the HUD
- Edge-Snapping:Inspired by the Snap functionality of Xbox One, it is similar to Edge-Tiling but with one key difference: Maximized windows do not cover snapped windows.To snap a window in Cinnamon 2.0, drag it with the mouse towards an edge or a corner while pressing the “Control” key.
- Cinnamon is now able to play sounds when you perform common events such as closing windows, switching workspaces etc…
- Added ‘Users & Groups’ utility for system administrators
- improved MIME handling in Nemo
- System tray support for file operations
- Nemo looks better and acts faster than before.
- Better compatibility and portability in Linux Mint 13/15, Fedora 19.
Install / Upgrade Cinnamon 2.0 in Ubuntu & Linux Mint:
IMPORTANT NOTE: Cinnamon 2.0 Corrupts Unity on Ubuntu 13.10. Don’t install it if you want to keep Unity Desktop.
As the developer said, the unofficial Mint backports for Cinnamon 2.0 is ready (Cinnamon stable PPA) in coming days for Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy, Ubuntu 13.04 Raring, Ubuntu 12.04 Precise, Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal and Linux Mint 13, 14, 15. When it’s ready, press Ctrl+Alt+T on your keyboard to open terminal. Run below commands one by one to upgrade:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade